Fredericksburg Cemetery, the city’s first private cemetery, started with the Fredericksburg Cemetery Company selling plots to the general public. The company placed particular importance on the cemetery’s design and encouraged religious diversity in its clientele. Following the end of the Civil War, the Ladies Memorial Association (LMA) of Fredericksburg established the Confederate Cemetery as a burial ground for Confederate soldiers who had died in area battles during the war. As Confederate casualties, these soldiers could not be buried in Fredericksburg’s National Cemetery, created in 1865 for fallen Union soldiers. The LMA also sold plots to the general public. The Fredericksburg and Confederate Cemeteries depict popular trends in mortuary culture and funerary art and architecture from the mid-1800s through the early 1900s as revealed in a large stone Monument to the Confederate Dead, a Classical Revival mausoleum, ornate entry gates, as well as individual memorials, monuments, grave markers, and each cemetery’s landscape design.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark