Built ca. 1850 for St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, which had just completed a new church at this steep hillside location, this discreet little building has enjoyed a tradition of community service. Although later called the “Old Rectory,” the building was never a parish residence, but instead provided meeting space for the vestry, the parish governing body. It served thusly until 1871 when it was given over to Sunday school classes. The building fell vacant in 1895 with the completion of a new church a few blocks away. In 1903, however, it became the meeting room of the Woman’s Club of Lynchburg. Like similar clubs, the Woman’s Club was part of a national movement to help ladies become better educated and more active in civic affairs. The club moved in 1916; the building has since served a variety of uses.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia