A symbol of progressive modernity, Lynchburg’s Allied Arts Building is a classic expression of the Art Deco Skyscraper style that dominated tall buildings in the 1920s and ’30s. Designed by Lynchburg architects Stanhope Johnson and Ray O. Brannan, and completed in 1931, the strongly vertical composition recalls the visionary skyscraper renderings of Hugh Ferriss. For Johnson, who worked primarily in the Colonial Revival style, the compositon design marked a break with the past and an effort to put his city in the forefront of contemporary design. The steel-frame structure is clad in a combination of buff brick and locally quarried greenstone. Effective use of these materials visually divides the building into three major components: base, office shaft, and capital. Still a dominant element of Lynchburg’s skyline, the Allied Arts Building continues to provide professional office space.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark