For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 03000459
The Ballentine Place Historic District is a significant planned community that was a direct result of the commuter railroad industry and was begun in 1909 by the Ballentine Realty Corporation. This community was laid out in a grid plan that was uncharacteristic of previous developments in the city. These streets were long and narrow, divided into small lots and punctuated with a large, central open park. The open park was landscaped as part of a Works Progress Administration Program circa 1935. This quaint community was designed to appeal to working class citizens with homes constructed in a variety of styles popular at the time, including Queen Anne, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, and American Foursquare. In addition to the homes built, this community also features a school building, four churches, and one business.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018