At the time of its listing, Norfolk’s Security Storage & Safe Deposit Company Warehouse, constructed in 1916, was one of only two intact large-scale industrial buildings remaining in the downtown and Atlantic City areas of Norfolk’s waterfront, where scores of warehouses and manufacturing buildings once stood. Largely intact, the warehouse retains most of its historic features, including subtle architectural and decorative elements which distinguish it from other often non-descript concrete-and-brick warehouse construction. The warehouse was used for its intended purpose from its construction through the late 20th century, providing secure storage for a variety of goods ranging from tobacco to furniture to grocery products. In 1948 it was converted from a Sears, Roebuck & Co. warehouse to the E.F. Drews & Co., Inc. Wholesale Chemists storage facility, at which time the original window openings were partially closed up. The building was renovated and repurposed using rehabilitation tax credits and its original window sashes were replicated.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark