In 1906, the Cruser Place Company envisioned a subdivision arising on marshland annexed by the City of Norfolk in 1902. The company’s plans required extensive private-public infrastructure improvements and significant infill to take advantage of prime waterfront real estate. That subdivision evolved from a streetcar suburb to become the Cruser Place Historic District, a tightly-bound residential and commercial neighborhood. During its growth through the 20th century, supported by city planning, Cruser Place provided single- and multi-family housing for Norfolk residents. In 1973, the neighborhood’s boundaries were redrawn after the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority established its Conservation District program for the Colonial Place–Riverview area. The redrawn boundaries put Cruser Place at the center of the larger Colonial Place-Riverview community. The Cruser Place Historic District, consisting of 74 contributing buildings, exhibits popular residential styles such as Craftsman, Cape Cod, Colonial Revival, Tudor, Ranch, and Minimal Traditional. Main Street and Corporate Commercial style architecture are the most evident forms among its commercial buildings, although the district features notable examples of Moderne, Contemporary, and International Style architecture.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark