One of Virginia’s preeminent landmarks, Hotel Roanoke is in the tradition of the great American hotels. On a hill dominating the city of Roanoke’s downtown, the sprawling half-timbered Tudor Revival structure stands on the site of the original hotel erected in 1882 by the Norfolk and Western Railway, the same year the company established its headquarters in Roanoke. The present building, though architecturally unified, has had a complicated evolution. The dominant portion dates from 1938 (main wing pictured above) and was designed by Knut W. Lind, a hotel specialist and partner in the New York firm of George B. Post & Sons. Attached are wings dating from 1931, 1946, and 1954. The original hotel, rebuilt in 1899 following a fire, was demolished for the present structure. The Hotel Roanoke closed in 1989 and was donated to Virginia Tech. Following extensive restoration and the addition of a large conference center, the hotel reopened in 1995.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia