For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 09/16/1982
NRHP Listing Date 04/20/1983
NRHP Reference Number 83003312; 02000622
Roanoke’s City Market Historic District has served as the primary marketplace for the city and surrounding counties since the late-19th-century. The district’s buildings display the full range of late-19th- to early-20th-century commercial styles. Its centerpiece is the City Market building on Market Square, constructed in 1922 to replace the city’s first market, erected in 1886. The square is framed with brick two- and three-story commercial buildings that present vistas of architectural unity and appealing scale. During recent years the area has become a target of on-going revitalization efforts. Innovative design concepts and local historic district zoning have been combined with public and private backing for the adaptive reuse of the City Market building and for the conversion of the McGuire Building into a cultural and science center called Center in the Square.
In 2001-2002, the boundaries of the district were increased to add two buildings to the original inventory of sixty commercial structures. The Goria Brothers Wholesale Grocers Building at 302 Campbell Avenue, SE, is a large three-story brick warehouse with modest Italianate embellishment built in 1924. The two-story brick, three-bay building at 9 Church Avenue, SE, was built about 1920.
[VLR Listed: 9/12/2001; NRHP Listed: 6/6/2002]
[Photo credit: Mike Pulice/DHR, 2012]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 28, 2021