Long identified with Roanoke’s economic growth since establishing its corporate headquarters in the city in 1882, the Norfolk & Western Railway (later the Norfolk-Southern Railway) built the Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station between 1916 and 1918. When opened, the freight station replaced several older depots to handle N&W’s growing freight traffic. The station also included an annex for its freight accounting and billing staff. In 1964, the station ceased operation as a hub for freight. The Norfolk & Western Railway Freight Station now houses the Virginia Museum of Transportation. Included in the museum’s collections is the individually listed Norfolk & Western Class J No. 611 Locomotive.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark