For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 09/09/1969
NRHP Listing Date 10/15/1966
NHL Listing Date 10/09/1960
NPS property number 66000921
This famous brick dwelling illustrates the transition from Virginia’s temporary frontier structures of the early 17th century to the more permanent, albeit informal, gentry houses of the early 18th century. The massive end chimney, irregular spacing of the openings, and lack of classical influences make the house a characteristic example of Virginia’s pre-Georgian architecture. It was altered ca. 1720 when the casement windows were converted to sliding sash and paneled woodwork was installed. The exterior and part of the interior were returned to their original appearance after the Adam Thoroughgood House Foundation acquired the property. The house is on land obtained by Adam Thoroughgood in 1636, and was built ca. 1680 by either Thoroughgood’s son or grandson. It is now exhibited by the Chrysler Museum of Art as a museum of Virginia’s late 17th-century life-style and architecture.
In 2008, an updated nomination corrected the construction date for the Adam Thoroughgood House of ca. 1719, following the completion of dendrochronology and archaeological reports. Since the original nomination listed the house strictly under Criterion C for architecture the period of significance has been amended from 17th century to ca. 1719 until 1957 (when the house was restored and opened to the public).
[VLR Listed: 3/13/2008; NRHP Listed: 4/23/2008]
The circa-1719 Adam Thoroughgood House has increased its previously-listed Virginia Landmarks Register boundary to capture significant archaeological resources relating to a Native American Middle and Late Woodland village site on the property as well as to archaeology from it colonial-era settlement. The Thoroughgood House was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, and listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register of Historic Places in 1966. In 2008, the nomination form for the property was substantially updated to incorporate new scholarship and research about the house’s history. This 2017 updated boundary now extends the site’s period of significance from 500 B.C., reflecting the date of the earliest diagnostic artifacts, to 1957, when the property became a public historic site.
[VLR Listed: 9/21/2017; NRHP Listed: Pending]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated December 16, 2019