Erected in 1725 for Francis Thelabell II, the visually engaging Wishart-Boush House (now known as the Lynnhaven House) in Virginia Beach is a rare surviving example of the type of house favored by prosperous farmers immediately before colonial Virginia’s Golden Age. With its irregularly spaced openings, exposed rafter ends, hall-parlor plan, and massive chimneys, the house is a holdover of English vernacular traditions of the 17th century. The survival of many of the interior features, most notably the closed-string Jacobean-type stair and molded ceiling joists, makes Lynnhaven House particularly instructive. Long known as the Wishart-Boush House, the present name is a modern one, derived from the nearby Lynnhaven River. Following years of neglect, the house was donated in 1971 by the Oliver family to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia). After a painstaking restoration in the late 20th century, the Lynnhaven House was converted into a museum.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark