A distinctive example of an early 19th–century vernacular farmhouse, the Whitehurst House was occupied by Traynor Whitehurst as early as 1822. The compact dwelling had an unusual two-story, one- room plan. A fire destroyed the house in 1993 shortly after listing in the VLR and before it could be listed in the NRHP.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark