Influenced by the 19th-century Scottish Baronial style, this arresting architectural pile, complete with crenelated tower, was the creation of Dr. John Miller-Masury, heir to the Masury Paint fortune. The Dr. John Miller-Masury House was finished in 1908 and was originally the centerpiece of a well-appointed estate in the city of Virginia Beach called Lakeside, equipped with an electric power plant, gardens, orchard, and stables. The architect, Arnold Eberhard of Norfolk, and the interior decorator, E. G. Potter & Co. of New York, produced what was acknowledged at the time to be the largest and finest residence in southeastern Virginia. From 1936 to 1939 the estate housed the Crystal Club, a gambling casino and night club for which the interior was altered to create a ballroom. Later renamed Greystone Manor, most of the estate has since been developed, but the house remains an imposing vestige of Gilded Age hubris.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark