For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 02001370
The Walter McDonald Sanders House is situated on College Avenue, formerly the Cumberland-Fincastle Turnpike, in the town of Bluefield. It is a large, fashionable, brick Queen Anne-style house, completed in 1896. Its complicated geometry and fine decorative detailing indicate the trappings of financial success in the late-Victorian period. A limestone springhouse, small frame dwelling, smokehouse, and granary are of the same period as the house. These buildings, on a two-acre parcel, are all that is left of a 3,000-acre farm that the Sanders family operated. The remaining property is today surrounded by commercial development and skirted by the four-lane U.S. Route 460 bypass. The Graham Historical Society is restoring the house for use as a museum and community center.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018