The physical and psychological heart of Northern Virginia’s hunt country, Middleburg is a compact and fastidious village retaining the qualities of its early years. Founded in 1787 by Leven Powell, a Revolutionary War officer and regional Federalist leader, the town developed as a coach stop and relay station on Ashby’s Gap Turnpike, becoming by the mid-19th-century a commercial center for lower Loudoun and upper Fauquier counties. The town saw frequent Civil War cavalry action and won a reputation for fierce Confederate loyalty but afterwards it declined in fortune and population. By the second decade of the 20th century, it assumed a new identity as a social and equestrian center. With its tree-lined streets, brick sidewalks, and harmonious scale, the town has a diverse collection of late-18th- to early-20th-century architectural styles highlighted by early stone and brick structures.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark