Situated at the western edge of Middleburg, on land originally owned by Leven Powell, the founder of Middleburg, Much Haddam is a classic example of Northern Virginia’s early-19th-century gentry vernacular architecture. With its five-bay façade and two stories over a high basement, the house was a type favored by many of the Loudoun County region’s more prosperous farmers. It probably was erected in 1820 by Richard Cochran adjacent to his own home, Capitol Hill. Much of the original simple Federal woodwork is preserved within, including a delicate Federal stair. The house originally had a log section behind the rear ell. Long missing, this was replaced with an early log structure found in the countryside. On the grounds is a rare, two-story kitchen outbuilding, one of the state’s few examples with a square plan. Embellishing the hillside site of Much Haddam is a storybook, old-fashioned garden.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark