The Queen Anne-style Hume School building was designed by Washington architect B. Stanley Simmons and built in 1891. Prompted by reforms in education and heightened by municipal support for more sophisticated, often monumental structures, local governments gradually replaced the small wooden schoolhouses of the 19th century with commodious and frequently stylish structures, of which the Hume School is a particularly fine example. Its sophisticated detailing and distinctive tower have made it a landmark since it first opened. The school was named for Frank Hume, an early civic and educational leader in Arlington County. Although it closed in 1956, public regard for the school, the oldest standing school building in Arlington County, prompted its being deeded to the Arlington Historical Society for use as a museum of local history.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark