Charles Richard Drew, M.D. (1904-1950) was one of the pioneers of American medicine. This African American physician’s research and discoveries concerning blood plasma on the brink of World War II led to saving the lives of thousands of American soldiers. Born in Washington, D.C., Drew received the degree of Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery from McGill University in Montreal. He later taught at Howard University and attended graduate school at Columbia University. Upon graduating from Columbia in 1940, Dr. Drew became America’s first Black to receive a Doctor of Science degree in surgery. At Columbia, Drew and his aides made the breakthrough discovery that with proper preparation blood plasma could be safely stored almost indefinitely, making plasma immediately available to victims on the battlefield. This Arlington dwelling in the Penrose Historic District was Dr. Drew’s home between 1920 and 1939.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia