For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 03000215
Arlington Village is representative of the influences of developer Gustave Ring on the development of large-scale garden apartment complexes in Northern Virginia, inspiring a formula that was repeated throughout the United States for similar multi-family projects funded by Federal Housing Administration-insured mortgages. Designed by Washington, D.C. architect Harvey Warwick, Arlington Village was constructed in 1939 and was the second large complex built by Ring in Arlington County. The success of Arlington Village was based on Ring’s ability to construct a well-designed and landscaped garden apartment complex that was affordable and attractive to an increasing number of middle-class workers moving into the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area during and after World War II. The property consists of 656 apartment units, a shopping center, a swimming pool, a pool house, and two tennis courts.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018