For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 99001719
Fort C. F. Smith is the best-preserved Civil War defensive fort in Arlington County. Built in 1863, it was one of several union forts that encircled Washington, D.C., during the Civil War. Situated on the Potomac Palisades, it was designed and oriented to capitalize on the defensive advantages of the existing topography, which remains virtually undisturbed to this day. After the war, the fort was incorporated into a fann containing a house, barn, cottage, and shed built around 1870. The former fort and associated buildings now serve as the focus of a county recreational park.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated August 9, 2018