The Lewis Shuey House is a rare example in Augusta County of an 18th-century house showing the influence of German Rhenish-style construction. Built of logs sheathed in weatherboards, it possesses one of the county’s two known Flurkuchenhaus floor plans, a German-type plan that consists of three rooms around a central chimney with a corner stair. It also has the county’s only known German-style common-rafter roof system with heavy underframe. One of the three rooms, the kuche or kitchen, preserves its original six-foot-wide cooking fireplace. Original exposed framing members such as summer beams are seen throughout the interior. The Lewis Shuey House was built ca. 1795-1800 for Lewis Shuey, a veteran of the Revolutionary War, whose grandfather had immigrated to Pennsylvania from the Rhineland in 1732, and who himself moved from Pennsylvania to western Augusta County in 1795.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark