For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NRHP Reference Number 02001364
The Bare House and Mill Ruins stand on the banks of the South River, near the town of Stuarts Draft in Augusta County. In 1791, Jacob Bare purchased the property on which he constructed a two-story stone mill by 1795. The mill ceased functioning in 1850 and is no longer standing, but the limestone ruins, showing evidence of a rare undershot wheel, survive. During the mid-1850s, Jacob Bare’s house was destroyed by fire and was replaced around 1857 by a two-story brick dwelling that shows Greek Revival and Italianate design influences. The hip-roofed house is accented by a bracketed cornice, and its front porch has paired Tuscan columns and a bracketed cornice. The house has a two-room-deep, center-passage plan with original pine floors, unusual operable louvered wooden doors, and plain Greek Revival mantels. Other resources on the property include a brick wellhouse and meat house, a small frame barn, a frame privy, cistern, and pumphouse.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated November 5, 2020