The large window areas and spreading gable roofs of the Crimora School offer a friendly, humane contrast to the unlovable, fortress-like public schools of recent decades. Still providing a welcoming atmosphere for area children, the school is perhaps Augusta County’s best preserved example of the central-auditorium-plan facilities developed by the State Department of Education’s Division of School Buildings. The original plan, dated May 1927, is “Design 14-B,” which incorporates a combination auditorium/gymnasium for its core with four large classrooms adjacent. The design proved so popular that only two schools with differing plans were subsequently built in the county until the Division of School Building’s services were discontinued in the 1940s. Population growth in Crimora required additions, but the original, modified bungalow character was maintained. The Crimora School building now serves as a community center.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark