Mount Sidney was established in 1826, making it one of the oldest towns in Augusta County. The community that makes up the Mount Sidney Historic District originally consisted of a few residences and commercial establishments, most of which served the needs of travelers along the Old Wagon Road. The town experienced a building boom in the 1830s when the Old Wagon Road was improved as the Valley Turnpike. After the Civil War, the Valley Railroad arrived just east of town, bringing residents more access to wider markets and cementing the town’s reputation as one of the leading commercial centers in northern Augusta County. Today the Mount Sidney Historic District is an excellent example of a well-preserved turnpike town in the Shenandoah Valley, containing examples of vernacular architecture from the early-19th century to the mid-20th century.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark