Oakley Farm is a property of considerable architectural and historical interest located in Bath County, on the edge of Warm Springs. The main house, known as Oakley, is a Federal- and Greek Revival-style brick residence built for plantation owner and second Bath County clerk of court Charles L. Francisco in the mid-1830s. Land for the present Bath County Courthouse, and much of the south end of the village of Warm Springs, was carved out of Oakley Farm. The property was acquired in 1905 by Tate Sterrett, livery manager for the nearby nationally famous resort, The Homestead. Sterrett operated Oakley as a country dining establishment and recreational destination for guests at the county’s resorts. The house passed to Sterrett’s son, Tate Boys Sterrett, who, with his wife Hazel Marshall Sterrett, completed a Colonial Revival remodeling in 1921–22, according to a design apparently conceived by the Staunton architectural firm T. J. Collins and Sons. Numerous 19th- and early 20th-century supporting buildings, of both agricultural and residential nature, survive on the Oakley Farm property, with a portion of the 1830s Jackson River Turnpike.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia