Although built in three stages over a span of some forty years, the stucco and wood-frame plantation house of Woodbourne presents an architecturally unified composition of pleasing proportions and shows Piedmont Federal architecture at its provincial best. The east wing, dating from the 1780s, is the earliest section. The stuccoed center pavilion with its classical pediment was added ca. 1810 and the west wing in the 1820s. The interior of the center section of Woodbourne is marked by richly carved woodwork with designs freely adapted from contemporary architectural pattern books. Of particular interest is the first-floor mantel with its carved drapery swags and cornucopias. Woodbourne was erected on land in Bedford County purchased from Thomas Jefferson, who acquired it through his wife, Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson. Woodbourne was built for William Radford and remains the property of his descendants.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark