An object of considerable antiquarian interest, Mount Airy was built ca. 1797 for Col. Thomas Leftwich, whose family subsequently built three similar houses in Bedford County, each with a peculiar one-story wing that protruded from the façade. The wing at Mount Airy was demolished in ca. 1955, but the dwelling retains much of its bold late-Georgian woodwork inside and out. Prominent on the exterior of Mount Airy is the hefty modillion cornice. Inside is a wealth of original trim including paneled wainscoting, doors, cupboards, and mantels. Despite the loss of the original wing and subsequent later additions, the two-story core retains its hall/parlor plan. Thomas Leftwich settled in the area about 1752. He was active in the French and Indian War and the American Revolution. His 50 years of public service included a term as county justice and a seat in the Virginia General Assembly.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark