For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 12/01/1999
NRHP Listing Date 01/28/2000
NRHP Reference Number 00000025
Hawthorne Hall was built in 1824 as the residence of Robert Harvey and his widowed daughter Mary Harvey Trigg. A deceptively small-scale brick farmhouse with an unusual plan and refined woodwork, Hawthorne Hall is one of Botetourt County’s most interesting Federal-style houses, and retains excellent architectural integrity. Hawthorne Hall is the centerpiece of a farm of approximately one hundred seventy-nine acres on a branch of Borden Creek above its confluence with Catawba Creek. The one-and-a-half-story, five-bay brick house features a central entry with a segmentally-arched surround that is repeated by an interior center-passage arch with embellished detailing. Restored by Mr. and Mrs. George E. Holt, Jr., in the 1970s, Hawthorne Hall illustrates many of the architectural trends adopted in the early 19th century by local builders for well-to-do property owners.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 16, 2022