The three-span Springwood Truss Bridge, located upstream from Buchanan in Botetourt County, was Virginia’s last major wooden bridge across the James River. It was constructed in 1884 by the Richmond and Alleghany Railroad Co. and acquired by the state in 1932. It was demolished following damage from a 1985 flood.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark