Nininger’s Mill

VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number


When Peter Nininger built this brick mill on Tinker Creek in 1847, he was continuing a milling tradition in Botetourt County that began with the county’s first settlers. Beside the Pittsylvania-Franklin-Botetourt Turnpike, which connected the farmlands of western Virginia with bustling Southside markets, the mill operated for decades as a quasi-public utility, offering one of the rural economy’s most important services. Like most of Virginia’s old gristmills, Nininger’s Mill was forced out of business because of an inability to compete with the modern milling complexes. The mill was converted to a restaurant in 1968, but some of the original machinery was preserved. The structure went on to serve as a private residence. A late-19th century overshot metal wheel remains in place on the north wall of Nininger’s Mill.

Last Updated: March 13, 2024

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form


Greenfield Kitchen and Quarters

Botetourt (County)



Botetourt (County)


Springwood Truss Bridge

"Virginia's Lost" Delisted Landmarks