In an undisturbed scenic setting northwest of Eagle Rock in Botetourt County, the Phoenix Bridge is the most decorative of Virginia’s fast-disappearing metal-truss bridges. Its manufacturer, the Phoenix Bridge Company of Phoenixville, Pa., was a leading prefabricator of wrought-iron bridges in the late 19th century. The technology of metal bridge construction made possible a greatly improved transportation network for rural America following the Civil War. The Phoenix Bridge is a pin-connected structure incorporating a Pratt through truss. It employs the special Phoenix post, a compression member composed of four flanged segments riveted together. The whole is decorated with Gothic motifs including finials, quatrefoils, and trefoils. The Phoenix Bridge was built in 1887 and moved to its present site spanning Craig Creek in 1903, where it served as a railroad bridge. It was converted to highway use in 1961.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark