Few plantation complexes in Virginia offer such a wide diversity of outbuildings and farm structures and provide such a complete picture of rural life and agricultural practices in the early 19th century. Among the surviving outbuildings are a duck house, icehouse, kitchen, laundry, and slave quarters, as well as several farm structures, built of wood, brick, and stone. The nucleus of the complex is a two-story brick dwelling somewhat plain on the exterior but trimmed with ambitious regionally interpreted Federal woodwork inside. The architectural chimneypiece in the dining room is exceptional. Linking the house and outbuildings is a rare surviving network of stone walkways. Green Hill was established ca. 1800 by Samuel Pannill, who served in the General Assembly as well as on the Board of Public Works and as president of the Roanoke Navigation Company.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark