Craig Healing Springs is a collection of nearly thirty early-20th-century resort buildings representative of the architecture of Virginia’s more modern mountain spas. Developed as a resort between 1909 and 1920 by the Craig Healing Springs Company, the complex flourished with the advent of automobile travel in the years between the two world wars but declined in popularity with changes in travel and vacation patterns in the 1950s. The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Virginia purchased the Craig County property in 1960 and has adapted the generally plain wooden buildings for use as a camp and conference center, while carefully maintaining the grounds and buildings as well as many of the original furnishings.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark