As a rare intact survivor of the many small farms that were confined to narrow creek valleys of the Allegheny Mountains in the 19th and 20th centuries, the Huffman House in Craig County, built around 1835, is a two-story frame dwelling with a full length, one-story front porch and brick end chimneys. A two-story rear ell was added in 1907, along with remodeling that same year and in 1911. The property is an excellent, locally significant example of a 19th- and 20th-century rural community center along a major transportation route, the Cumberland Gap Turnpike. Over the years, the property has maintained a country store, post office, baptismal pool, and sleeping quarters for turnpike travelers. The exceptionally well preserved condition of the Huffman House and many utilitarian outbuildings offers a museum-like window on past agrarian lifeways in the mountains of Virginia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark