Erected in stages, this large Cumberland County merchant mill, one of the most impressive historic mills in the Commonwealth of Virginia, achieved its present appearance after 1792 when the Muddy Creek Mill’s partners agreed to raise the building to its existing height. Combining stone, brick, slate, and wooden construction, the building is the state’s only surviving mill with two tiers of dormers, a feature sometimes employed on very large urban mills. Muddy Creek Mill operated until the 1960s, producing flour, meal, and other products. Much of the early machinery is intact, including the French millstones. The complex includes the tiny settlement of Tamworth, within which is the mill, the miller’s house, a small brick store of ca. 1800, and a late-18th-century farmhouse, now the home of the mill owners. Structural repairs were made to the Muddy Creek Mill in the late 1980s with the assistance of a threatened property grant from the state.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark