Woodlawn, also known as the Trible House, is an example of the fast disappearing single-cell domiciles built in great numbers beginning in the late 18th century. These small but well-crafted dwellings demonstrate the newly acquired ability of modest Virginia farmers to create shelters more substantial and more refined than the rude yeomen’s cottages of the colonial period. The first portion of the tiny gambrel-roofed structure was constructed ca. 1816 for John Haile. The house was expanded with a lean-to addition ca. 1840 when it was acquired by George Trible. Carefully restored in the 1970s after standing empty and neglected, Woodlawn is a point of interest in Essex County on U.S. Route 360, the old highway connecting Richmond and Tappahannock.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark