A relic of the days when the Rappahannock River was a main transportation artery for people and commerce, the Port Micou complex, in Essex County’s Occupacia-Rappahannock Rural Historic District, consists of a granary/warehouse and a small dwelling, probably built as an overseer’s house. Named for Paul Micou, a Huguenot, who began purchasing property here in 1697, Port Micou was a wharf complex for much of the 18th century. It was acquired by Robert Paine Waring in 1835 and the two structures were built either by Waring or his son-in-law Richard Baylor, both prosperous landowners. The large two-story granary, notable for its fine workmanship, originally stored wheat that was shipped to Tidewater cities. The functionally related dwelling (shown above) has but one room and a passage on its main floor. Only with imagination can one picture the hum of activity that once took place at this now quiet and lonely place.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark