Spring Hill Farm was architecturally significant as one of the largest surviving examples of an early-19th-century farmhouse in Fairfax County. Situated on a sizable plot of land that conveyed its original agricultural character, the two-and-a-half-story frame and weatherboard dwelling was built about 1822 for the William Swink family. It may have incorporated an earlier structure and was a good example of the Federal style. The house retained much of its original interior woodwork. Simply carved, the cornices, door surrounds, doors, stairs, and mantels are handsome examples of local craftsmanship. Two 19th-century barns, rare survivors in a heavily suburbanized county, remained on the property. Henry E. Alvord, a college president and nationally known dairy scientist, transformed the property into a successful dairy farm during the late 19th century. In 1895, when the U. S. Department of Agriculture organized a dairy division, Alvord served as its first chief. The Spring Hill Farm property was redeveloped in 2014, and the house and outbuildings were demolished.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark