For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 11/16/1976
NRHP Listing Date 08/15/1977
NRHP Reference Number 77001486
This small wooden mill and adjacent miller’s house began as an adjunct to Hope Park, a large plantation. It later gained importance as a neighborhood mill, serving the needs of nearby plantations, as opposed to the larger merchant mills that served a greater area. The two buildings probably were erected ca. 1800 during the ownership of David Stuart. Caught in the crossfire of the Civil War, Hope Park mill during the winter of 1861-62 was Post No. 3 for many Confederate units. The mill prospered once again around the turn of the 20th century under the ownership of Frank Robey, whose death in 1906 brought an end to its commercial life. With is small pasture and wooded hillsides, the Hope Park Mill and Miller’s House complex, which includes a smokehouse, springhouse, and cabin, all of log, preserves a vestige of early rural life in Fairfax County.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 3, 2021