For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/19/1996
With its well-modulated classicism, the Camp A. A. Humphreys Pump Station and Filter Building illustrates how a time-honored architectural vocabulary can give respectability to an industrial building. The pump station was constructed in 1918 to accommodate Camp A. A. Humphreys, a U. S. Army training camp that was the predecessor of Fort Belvoir. Built to produce filtered drinking water to the camp and later Fort Belvoir, the pump station operated until 1970. In 1986 the Camp A. A. Humphreys Pump Station and Filter Building was leased to Fairfax County and was sympathetically converted into a homeless shelter.
[VLR Listed Only]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 27, 2022