For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 12000537
Georgetown Pike, in Fairfax and Arlington counties, was constructed between 1813 and 1827 by two privately organized turnpike companies to connect Georgetown markets with agricultural and manufacturing interests in Leesburg and beyond. The pike’s construction met the best engineering standards of its day by utilizing two layers of stones fitted closely together and crowned in the center to improve drainage and wear. In the 1920s, Georgetown Pike was adapted as a toll road for automobiles, and in 1934 it was acquired by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018