For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/19/1994
NRHP Listing Date 02/08/1995
NRHP Reference Number 95000026
The lone survivor of the trolley stations that served Fairfax County commuters in the early 1900s, the Oakton Trolley Station was constructed in 1905 by the Washington and Fairfax Electric Railway Co. It was located on land sold to the company by developer Willis R. Gray, who encouraged extending the line to serve his Oakton subdivision. In addition to passengers, the station was a shipping point for area florists sending fresh flowers to Washington. The station also accommodated a post office and store. The trolley service was discontinued in 1939 and the station was converted to a general store and later a boardinghouse. The tracks were eventually removed, and the Oakton Trolley Station was restored as a residence in 1988. With its shady yard and wraparound porch, the homey building is a vignette of simpler times.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: February 28, 2022