For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 99001503
A. Smith Bowman Distillery was originally built as the Wiehle Town Hall in western Fairfax County in 1892 and has since served as the focal point for the surrounding community. The two-story, Classical Revival brick building was designed and constructed under the direction of C. A Max Wiehle, who in 1886 purchased 3,228 acres of farmland in western Fairfax County on which he planned to create a self-sufficient community named in his honor. Although a well-planned corrununity, the town began to flounder after Wiehle’s death in 1901. By 1909, the former brick town hall had become a single-family residence. In 1934, A. Smith Bowman purchased the town and renovated the building, which served as part of the famous distillery until the 1950s.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018