030-0035

Loretta

VLR Listing Date

10/20/1993

NRHP Listing Date

12/23/1993

NRHP Reference Number

93001442

Loretta exemplifies the transformation of many Fauquier County farmhouses into prestige estates by owners whose wealth came from sources other than agriculture. The house began as a conventional early-19th-century brick dwelling built by Frances Edmonds, widow of Col. Elias Edmonds, using $5,000 her husband received for service in the Revolutionary War. John Gains, a Warrenton banker, purchased Loretta in 1907 and within a year he and his wife Cornelia transformed the house into a sophisticated Colonial Revival mansion. Gains sold Loretta in 1911 to W. W. Finley, president of the Southern Railway Company, who added the Ionic portico. Frederick Haserick bought the property in 1924. His widow left it to her son who continues to live here. The house, comfortably situated in a pastoral setting at the end of a tree-lined drive, has remained little changed since Finley’s death in 1924.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

030-5932

African American Resources in Fauquier County, Virginia, 1865–1973

(MPD) Multiple Property Document

030-5180

Silver Hill Baptist Church and School

Fauquier (County)

030-5917

Upperville Colt & Horse Show Grounds

Fauquier (County)