Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-0239 Germantown Archaeological Sites

Germantown Archaeological Sites
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/15/1982

NRHP Listing Date 09/10/1982

NPS property number 82004555

Governor Alexander Spotswood brought a group of German immigrants to Germanna in Orange County in 1714 to mine and refine ore from his iron mines. The first party of colonists included mechanics from the Nassau-Siegen district of Westphalia. In 1718 twelve families dissatisfied with conditions at Germanna acquired a warrant for lands twelve miles north near the Fauquier County village of Midland. The site of the 1721 Tilman Weaver house and the adjacent Germantown Tavern site are the only identified archaeological remains of the settlement. The stones of the Weaver house chimney remain scattered amid the undergrowth. The ca. 1721 house site, together with the remains of the ca. 1780 tavern, should yield information about the home life of this early immigrant ethnic group.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated October 18, 2018