Dakota is a Colonial Revival two-story house built in 1928 to a design by architect William Lawrence Bottomley, located just outside the town limits of Warrenton in Fauquier County. Apparently erected on the foundations of a 19th-century residence, Dakota has an American-bond brick facing, painted white, over a masonry block core, a slate-shingled hip roof, a symmetrical five-bay façade, and a centered entry with a classical surround. A one-story bedroom wing was added to the east end in 1947–48, balanced by a garage addition on the west end, both designed by Suzanne W. McKown. The interior is arranged around an entry/stair hall and features a living room with paneled walls and a Federal Revival mantel. The rehabilitation of Dakota in 2004-05 resulted in the addition of a pergola on the rear elevation and the enclosure of a formerly open-air hyphen, but otherwise the house is little changed from its historic appearance. An original 1928 brick garage is situated behind the house and to the southwest stands a circa-1900 stable, a Queen Anne frame building with unusual corner dovecote turrets.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark