Old Denton, a two-story brick dwelling in Fauquier County’s Little River Rural Historic District, was built circa 1860 by James H. Hathaway, who constructed the house in front of his father-in-law’s ca.-1820 vernacular brick dwelling. These two dwellings, along with a ca. 1860 meat house, form the historic core of the 58-acre property. Additional development occurred in the first half of the 20th century when the Young family constructed a stable and tenant house to the west of the main dwelling. The Greek Revival and Italianate styles of Old Denton’s main dwelling shows the continuing influence of architectural pattern books in late-antebellum Virginia.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark