Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-5159 Orlean Historic District

Orlean Historic District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/18/2009

NRHP Listing Date 08/14/2009

NPS property number 09000615

The Orlean Historic District is surrounded by pristine rolling farmland and was originally part of Thomas Lord Fairfax’s Leeds Manor. The district contains about two dozen properties of varied architectural styles dating from the late-18th century to the mid-20th century, including commercial buildings, churches, a post office, a former school, and multiple residences along with their outbuildings. The earliest building, constructed in phases between 1795 and 1812, is the Orlean Farm House, which was associated with the Smith family, prominent landowners and businessmen in Orlean. John Puller Smith, who completed the house’s construction, was involved in the establishment of a commercial center in the village. Largely due to his efforts, in 1817 Orlean was selected as the first post office in the county.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018