Sumerduck Historic District, encompassing a village in southwestern Fauquier County, is an extraordinarily well-preserved and little-altered collection of late 19th- and early 20th-century buildings that effectively represent all critical aspects of Sumerduck’s modest history—domestic, commercial, religious, and educational. In the context of small crossroad villages in Fauquier County, Sumerduck retained through its period of significance (ca. 1882 to ca. 1950) an unusually high level of functional and visual consistency. Located on the road now known as Remington Road, at its junction with Route 632, the village contains two churches, a school, the late 19th-century Henry Broadus Jones Store, and the Sumerduck Trading Company (Emory Henry Wax’s Store), constructed ca. 1950. The village is also graced with a handful of dwellings and associated dependencies. Its significance was highlighted in a first-hand history prepared in 1970 by a long-time resident, Olive V. Jones, that delineates the history of the small town and its residents.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia