Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-5165 Calverton Historic District

Calverton Historic District
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/17/2009

NRHP Listing Date 08/12/2010

NPS property number 10000542

The Calverton Historic District, in southeastern Fauquier County, arose circa 1852 as a rural village strategically located on a spur branch of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad that connected to Warrenton. Historically known as Warrenton Junction, Calverton also served the area’s farm families as a commercial and social center. Losses of buildings during the Civil War and a fire in 1944 destroyed the village’s antebellum architecture except for a portion of one building. The village is dominated by houses, commercial buildings, and a church that date from the late 19th to the early decades of the 20th century.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018